Jerk Prawn with Avocado Quinoa
Prep: 15 mins
• 450g/1lb raw shelled tiger prawns (jumbo shrimp)
• 200g/7oz quinoa
• 480ml/16fl oz vegetable stock (broth)
• 1 large ripe avocado
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 6 spring onions (scallions), diced
• juice of 1 lemonhandful of parsley chopped
• a few chives, snipped
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tsp allspice berries, crushed
• 2 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
• ó tsp ground nutmeg
• ó tsp ground cinnamon
• leaves from 4 sprigs thyme
• onion diced
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2.5 fresh root ginger, peeled and diced
• 2 medium heat chillies, diced
• 2 tsp stevia as required
• 1 tbsp tamari (soy) sauce
• juice of 1 lime
1. Make jerk marinade. Blitz all ingredients in a blender to a paste. Transfer to a
bowl and add prawns.
2. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
3. Rinse quinoa. Bring stock to the boil and add the quinoa. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes and till most water absorbed. Leave to stand for 6-8 minutes, then drain o any excess liquid. Fluff up with a fork.
4. Cut avocado in half and dice the flesh. Mix with 2 tbsp of olive oil, onions, lemon juice and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Heat remaining oil in frying pan. Cook prawns for 1-2 minutes each side till
pink. Toss the quinoa with avocado mixture, divide quinoa into 4 portions and place prawns on top. Serve up.